Surrey Viking

Welcome to my world, my thoughts, my opinions, my experiences. Not all of them. Obviously. Some things I don't want to share. For everything else, read my blog. Comments are definitely encouraged!

Monday, April 09, 2007

When in Yorkshire....


It’s Easter, so time to decorate with eggs and chicks. We started the Easter tree idea several years ago. I have made or decorated eggs in past years, but not this year.


For Easter Sunday, my family over to me for lunch. Toni came with Benji and Barney and mum came with Mia who was visiting for the weekend. I do like to cook and love it when all the family come to eat as they always enjoy my food and say lots of complimentary things! I made a very tasty roast lunch with apple crumble for desert. This year I decided to make proper Yorkshire puds. Not that Aunt Bessie doesn’t make tasty puds (and with a factory in nearby Hull, is technically a real Yorkshire pud!). The problem has always been not having enough room in the oven for meat, potatoes and Yorkshires. Then, I remembered back to my waitressing days, when the chefs would make Yorkshire puds in the morning, store them on cooling racks and then just heat for a couple of minutes before serving with roast. So I tried that. I decided that if they turned out too flat, then I would say they were mini-pancakes that I had cooked for desert. Luckily, I must say that I was pretty pleased with my first attempt.

I was considering whether we should have the traditional roast lamb for Easter. As Mia was visiting for the weekend, she suggested fatted calf would be appropriate, but instead I decided on fatted pig. Or rather, not very fatted pig. I had got a very large piece of pork for Christmas from my work, and had divided it into smaller joints, a couple of which I still had in the freezer. How about that for not many food miles? Talking of which, I made a point of going to my local greengrocer to buy the accompanying veg, etc. Shelves display prices each or per kilo and also country of origin. It amused me to see that several products stated “Country of Origin: Yorkshire”. Being a farming community, we are very proud of our local produce. Naturally, I selected as many Yorkshire products as possible – potatoes, cabbage, peas, apples. (ok, maybe not the pineapple!). This is my attempt at ‘off-setting’ carbon, and allows me to feel better about jetting of to Malta for my holiday this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home