Surrey Viking

Welcome to my world, my thoughts, my opinions, my experiences. Not all of them. Obviously. Some things I don't want to share. For everything else, read my blog. Comments are definitely encouraged!

Monday, May 21, 2007

What do I need a man for?

I’m having another surge of enthusiasm to get some things done on my house. I’ve been very slow really, but having been pleased with my frosted windows, and also having painted up the stairs and landing a couple of weeks ago, I was felt boosted with extra energy to do more! I wanted to put up shelves either side of my fireplace in the lounge.

Currently all the videos and DVDs are in Lydia’s room and there is no way I would be able to find anything! I wanted to bring them downstairs and have them neatly displayed on shelves.

The ready-made shelves I‘d looked at were not cheap (are you seeing a theme here that I’m a bit loathed to spend much money??), and of course, they are never the right size for the gaps where I wanted shelves to go. In fact, being a Victorian house, the shelf widths in one alcove varied 2-3 times! So, I decided to get a big piece of MDF, cut to individual size and then build a battern frame underneath (which I am assured in Tommy Walsh’s DVD is the most sturdy way to build a shelf!).

I went to Jewson’s to find that I could buy a piece of MDF enough for my 8 shelves, and several more over, for only about £18. AND, they would cut it to size (yes, 4 or 5 slightly separate measurements) for no extra! I ordered my shelves and picked them up ready cut a couple of days later. I also mentioned at work to our Maintenance Manager, Martyn, that I needed quite a few lengths of 2x1 battons for shelf supports. He very kindly supplied me with all the wood I needed, again suitably cut to length, and at no charge! In my excitement, I mentioned my shelf plans to my very good friend, James, who then very kindly offered to come and put up the shelves for me.

Now… it’s not that I didn’t think I could do it myself, but there are times when it is better to accept the help of a strong man with a good power tool, rather than tackle the job oneself! Yes, even I’m learning that!! And everyone knows that the real purpose of a man is to put up shelves and to open tight bottle tops. (er....is there anything I've missed?). All I had to offer was a home cooked meal and a beer - and I had myself some new shelves! Thank you James! Don’t they just look great?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Mia said...

Wow - they look brilliant!

10:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'everyone knows that the real purpose of a man is to put up shelves and to open tight bottle tops'

Is that all men are good for??

There must be other things that they are able to do! Where would women be without them.........lost!

9:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home