Surrey Viking

Welcome to my world, my thoughts, my opinions, my experiences. Not all of them. Obviously. Some things I don't want to share. For everything else, read my blog. Comments are definitely encouraged!

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Life is an adventure

Having a large factory and head office with 6 regional offices and approx 300 staff, we get a lot of announcements, often about new people starting, promotions, good news on projects, etc. We recently had an email announcement at work about someone leaving the company and it made me think that I haven’t seen many of those. Business is going well. Staff morale is good. Lots of people have worked for the company for many years – a few over 20 years! I guess that’s the sign of a good company?

Anyway, this middle-aged woman last week was from one of our regional offices, where she had worked for over 4 years. She said “I am sad to be leaving, but am also excited for my new venture ahead - I'm volunteering on a orang utan conservation project in Borneo for a while and also doing some other travelling. I would like to thank everyone who I have worked with over the past 4 years, for making my time here enjoyable and memorable.”

I thought - how exciting is that?

Last week I was in Canada with my sister who has put her demanding midwifery career on hold and decided work for a ski season in Canada, learned to ski well (qualify as an instructor) is having a great time and then plans to go off and do more worldly travelling, We were also with lots of other transient people who are travelling abroad and doing something fun - it makes you realise that you don’t have to remain in one place all your life or most of your life, and you don’t have to work in a job you don’t enjoy, and there is so much more to life than most of us are experiencing.

I came back and thought that my 19-year old nephew in particular should really be going off travelling and having some fun. Toni and I started to look up some websites to see what we could suggest to him, and found a whole wealth of exciting and interesting things that anyone could go off and do – conservation work in Africa or English countryside, fruit & veg picking, teaching English, kids camp helpers, festival/event staff, cruise ship hosts, etc etc. We were even tempted to a few jobs ourselves!

As I said, I am working in a good company with good prospects, and I guess I will stay for a while but nevertheless I think it would be unwise to be blinkered to the endless possibilities that are available to us. It makes you think………..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home