Surrey Viking

Welcome to my world, my thoughts, my opinions, my experiences. Not all of them. Obviously. Some things I don't want to share. For everything else, read my blog. Comments are definitely encouraged!

Monday, February 18, 2008

A bridge too far?

I’m pleased to say that James is back in my life and has decided to make a permanent change in his life in order for us to be together and to allow us to plan a future together (aah!). We have agreed that he won’t move in to my house but he does come and visit, and he also has his own cottage where I can visit, so effectively each of us has a holiday home also!

I was really pleased when James found a lovely cottage to live in. It was unfurnished, so he asked if I would help him choose furniture, design the layout and get it looking homely (dream come true – as if I would say no!!). The only problem was that he lives in North Lincolnshire, and I live in East Yorkshire. About 25 miles apart. Not really much driving distance, and certainly not a problem if we are talking long distance relationship. Anyway, he works a couple of miles from where I work, so he is often around East Yorkshire.

When he moved in, he had lots of boxes of stuff but very little actual furniture. The first evening, after lugging in lots of boxes, we ordered a Chinese meal and then realised. I had brought a couple of fold up garden chairs, but there was no table. In an inspired idea, we used James's workbench, with a piece of hardboard over the top, and an old curtain as a tablecloth and....voila...a table. One candle in the middle, light the open fire, and it was a cosy and inviting room!

After a week or so, and a trip to Ikea, and a few ebay bargains, James had some great looking, modern furniture and the place was feeling more like a home.

The only problem was the bridge. Those of you who know me, will know that I have had a bit of a fobia about bridges. (Something to do with an uncontrollable urge to drive off the edge…..I won’t bore you with the detail). For me to visit James, I need to drive over the Humber Bridge. It’s a mile and a half long and is (or maybe was?) the longest single span suspension bridge in the world….or something…anyway, it’s really scarry, with a vast expanse of water below.

The first time I drove over to see his new house, it was SO windy that it was closed to high sided vehicles, and reduced speed limit. For me, it was a white knuckle ride. But I did it! (the things we do for love…!) Since then, I have travelled in thick fog, more high winds, sleet and darkness (that’s ok). It’s really expensive to cross over (£2.70 each way), so James bought me a book of bridge tickets to encourage me to visit!

Anyway, I feel ok about crossing the bridge now. It’s not as scarry as I thought. Perhaps all I needed was the right incentive!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mia said...

Well done you. Getting over a phobia is not easy but as you say, maybe you just needed the right incentive.

Now you just have to try ski hill chairlifts!

2:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home