Surrey Viking

Welcome to my world, my thoughts, my opinions, my experiences. Not all of them. Obviously. Some things I don't want to share. For everything else, read my blog. Comments are definitely encouraged!

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Yes, the earth moved for me!

James and I have just been away for a few days (more details later), and arrived back late on Tuesday night to James's house in North Lincolnshire after midnight. After making a cup of tea, changing and cleaning teeth, we were ready for bed at about 12.45am.

Shortly after, at around 1am, there was a low rumble, the floor started shaking, the rumble got louder and the whole house was shaking. The event probably only lasted 15 seconds, but was a scarry and very strange experience. We wondered what it could possibly be. Were we over-reacting or imagining it? Was it a gas explosion from one of the large chemical plants on the nearby banks of the Humber? James looked out of the window onto the street, and several neighbours lights were on, and a few people had wondered out into the street (one man still in his pyjamas). They had obviously felt the same experience and we could hear much debate as to what had happened.

We decided it had to be an earthquake, although we have never actually felt an earthquake at first hand (I guess the Japanese earthquake simulator at the Natural History Museum doesn't count?), although an earthquake in England seemed unlikely!!

It wasn't until the next morning that we uncovered the full facts. It WAS an earthquake. Biggest in the UK for 25 years. 5.3 on the richter scale, with the epicentre in Market Rasen in Lincs - only approx 20 miles away! How bizarre......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home