Surrey Viking

Welcome to my world, my thoughts, my opinions, my experiences. Not all of them. Obviously. Some things I don't want to share. For everything else, read my blog. Comments are definitely encouraged!

Monday, February 18, 2008

Spring is Sprung


Why is it that we get through Christmas, and we think how lucky we are that we haven’t had much of a harsh winter (apart from maybe half a day of snowy slush) and then the days start to lengthen and buds start appearing and all seems like Spring is on it’s way and we have hope of improving weather…….then it gets bloody cold?!

This week has been freezing, and generally feeling very cold. Last week, however, I took mum and Toni to nearby Burton Agnes to walk through their ‘snowdrop walk’. We also found some 'erantis' which have not seen in the South of England and are prevalent in North Jutland and remind mother of her childhood (in fact she has a Royal Copenhagen porcelain dinner service that has a pattern showing this flower).


The snowdrops at Burton Agnes are in gardens, fields, woodlands, all full of snowdrops. Thousands of them. Well, probably millions. I believe there are loads of different varieties, although they all look rather similar – small, white, delicate. It’s one of mum’s favourite flowers and we always make a point of looking out for the first snowdrop of the year. It’s lovely to have a winter walk, looking at nature, and to stop at the café for lunch.

In the Woodland Walk there are lots of sculptures and surprising things. I told Toni that I wouldn’t show the photo of her doing her owl impersonation……but, well, I had to really! (sorry, Toni!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol love the picture of mum...

10:18 pm  
Blogger Mia said...

Cold? COLD?! You want to try -35 love. Honestly.

Great piccies though!

2:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home