Surrey Viking

Welcome to my world, my thoughts, my opinions, my experiences. Not all of them. Obviously. Some things I don't want to share. For everything else, read my blog. Comments are definitely encouraged!

Thursday, January 08, 2009

New Year Detox - Smeetox!

Excuse me, just need a bit of a New Year's rant......

  • Frankly I’m not surprised by the findings of the ‘Sense about Science’ organisation!

    No two companies seemed to use the same definition of detox - defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as the removal of toxic substances or qualities. In the majority of cases, producers and retailers were forced to admit that they had simply renamed processes like cleaning or brushing, as detox, the scientists said
    .”

    I have long thought that the ‘detox’ bandwagon was nothing more than a ploy to get gullible people to part with more money! In the same camp as ‘food intolerances’; ‘pro-biotic healthy bacteria’; any makeup, moisturisers, creams that claim to ‘re-hydrate’ the skin and ‘reduce wrinkles’ or make skin ‘younger looking’; most ‘alternative medicines’; ‘healing crystals’; ‘bottled water’ (please feel free to add a message with your own personal favourites!)

    I’m not saying that none of it makes you feel good, it’s just that it’s mostly over-priced, over-rated, and achieves very little, whilst relying on people believing in the hype and spending money!

    Whatever happened to good old common sense ? Why is it that people rely on what advertisers tell them, rather than think of what makes sense? For example:
    Banks - aim to make profit for themselves, not make financial savings for customers
    Supermarkets – their emphasis is to make as much profit as possible for themselves, not to ‘help their customers save money’

    I recently had an eye test, and was pleased to find that I had no eye disease or infections. I asked how these could ordinarily be avoided and the optometrist said “by eating a healthy balanced diet – which is what makes everything in our body healthy and work well”. Good advice!

    The answer to healthy life is not rocket science. It’s common sense:
    Eat anything in moderation
    Eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit
    Drink plenty of water
    Take gentle exercise regularly
    Get plenty of sleep

    I would like to add:
    Don’t be taken in by marketing hype if all it does is make you paranoid or poorer!

    We know all that don’t we, and still it’s hard…..or is it?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow......... ok that will do, time to get off your soap box now. You are right though I have to agree.

11:21 pm  
Anonymous plasterer sutton said...

plasterer sutton
I`m not worried about it, it came too me last night, the people, families, seniors, students, they are silently terrified of the BC Liberals...

They know the Christy Gordon Campbell Clark Liberals must be removed from power, the HST referendum will be won easy...If we lose it will be through fraud..

The biggest risk for the BC Liberals is they win the referendum.

4:18 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home