Surrey Viking

Welcome to my world, my thoughts, my opinions, my experiences. Not all of them. Obviously. Some things I don't want to share. For everything else, read my blog. Comments are definitely encouraged!

Thursday, June 11, 2009

I love miniatures


I read with great interest today, about Miniaturist (that's what I want to be!) Peter Riches. He is planning his first ever glitzy world cruise after being offered £50,000 from a Canadian fan who spotted the retired builder's 23-room masterpiece online. The tiny 10-bed mansion took Peter a painstaking 15 years to complete (spending an average of 8 hours per day!) and boasts servants quarters, a hand-crafted games room with snooker table, a music room housing a grand piano and a well-stocked library with over 1000 separately bound books. Take a look at this link for more photos.

I love miniature things and I would love to have a dolls house. However, why is it that most of the dolls houses (including this one made by Mr Riches) are replicas of old-fashioned houses, often Victorian? What I would like is a modern house! In fact....my real dream is to build a miniature version of my own house (one I don't yet have). How cool would that be?

The most exciting miniatures I have seen are the totally amazing sculptures of Willard Wigan. He makes micro sculptures on pin heads. You need a microscope to see them. Why does he do it? Who knows! But I LOVE them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home